New to soak off gel nails? We got you covered. In this post, we will give you an idea how it differs from other nail products and why using it may be beneficial to your nail health.
RELATED: 10 Vegan Nail Polish Brands You Must Try
In this article:
- What Are Soak Off Gel Nails?
- Soak Off Vs. Buff-off Gel Polishes
- How Is It Applied?
- Does It Last Long On Nails?
- Benefits Of Soak Off Gel Nails
- Cons Of Having It Done
Soak Off Gel Nails | Everything You Need To Know
What Are Soak Off Gel Nails?
Soak-off gel nails can also be referred to as soft gel nails. It differs from traditional nail polish in terms of application and finish.
Soak off gel nails are painted on but are cured after every layer using a UV light. This process gives your nails a more natural and colorful look.
Compared to traditional nails like acrylic, it chips easily and is a bit tedious to remove.
Soak Off Vs. Buff-Off Gel Polishes
Buff-off gel polish is also called hard gel nails, making it soak off gel’s counterpart. The only difference between the two is how they are removed.
As the name implies, the buff-off gel can be removed by buffing it down. Soak off, meanwhile, can be removed by soaking your nails in acetone.
They are similar in terms of being flexible and lightweight.
How Is It Applied?
Similar to every nail enhancement procedure, you start by applying the base coat on your natural nails. Choose your desired gel color then add a layer. Cure it using a UV lamp for two minutes.
Repeat this process two to three times until the color is sealed. Finish it off by adding a top coat and cure it for the last time. Swipe your nails gently by using a cotton or a gauze pad with alcohol for a smoother finish.
Does It Last Long On Nails?
Soft gels are pretty much on par with other nail enhancements in terms of life span. Brands like OPI and CND claim that their soft gel polishes last up to two weeks with minimal chips before you need to change or re-apply.
The only reason why it lasts shorter is natural nail growth which will push it out sooner than later.
RELATED: DIY | Easy Gel Nails At Home For Busy People
Benefits Of Soak Off Gel Nails
There are plenty of perks on why you should try soak off gel nails. As long as money is not an issue, here’s how your nails will benefit from having this procedure done.
- No strong odor – You’ll have a pleasant time having this done since it doesn’t have a strong smell like acrylic.
- Dry time – You won’t need to worry about fixing dents and smudges since it dries in less than two minutes.
- DIY – It’s very easy to do that you can do it yourself at home! Every tool needed is a one-time investment and you won’t need to go back to the salon ever again.
- Not as damaging – Since it’s fast and easy to do, procedures like extensive filing and buffing are no longer required, preventing possible damage.
- Removal process – You don’t need to exert any energy to remove it. As mentioned above, all you have to do is soak it in acetone and you are all done!
- Touch-ups – Once your nails start growing, all you need is to paint the clean area and cure it with a UV lamp.
- Easy temporary polish change – Need to change nail colors to fit certain outfits? Just use traditional polish and remove it by using a non-acetone remover. It should be the same right where you left it off.
Cons Of Having It Done
Soft gels cost twice as much as regular nail polish. On the bright side, it’s not as expensive as a hard gel, silk wrap, and acrylic. Also, you’ll have to invest in a UV lamp which may cost $20-30 if you plan to do this at home.
Excessive use may also cause damage. Though this is the case for every nail products that contain chemicals. Hence, the best course of action is to let your nails breathe for a while upon removal. Give it a week or two before you re-apply the soft gel polish.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to apply soak off gel nails courtesy of Andrea B:
Soak off gel nails is a great alternative because it is the easiest to remove among other painted nail polishes. Also, the process of removing it is not harmful to the nails and does not need to be buffed or filed off. So if you’re a big fan of gel nails, trying this product should be on top of your priority list!
What qualities of soak off nail gels do you like most? Share your thoughts in the comments section below!
Gail snyder says
I bought soak off nail polish and you mean they won’t dry without a uV light???? I can’t get them to dry at all! Is it because I don’t have the light?? I’ve never heard of such a thing!
Autumn Jacskon says
Yeah! It’s says on the bottle how to cure it. Reading is fundamental