What’s awesome about glow in the dark nails? Simply everything! And since we know the lockdown situation is hard on everyone, we want to cheer you up with this DIY guide on how to make glow nail polish at home.
Of course, you can purchase glow in the dark nail paint from online retailers or cosmetics stores, but where is the fun in that? Brighten up your mood and break the daily routine with a fun nail care project instead.
Follow our tips & tricks and start working on your homemade nail polish that glows in the dark!
Ultimate Guide on How to Make Glow in the Dark Nail Polish at Home
Option 1: Glowing Powder Nail Polish
Pigment powders can do wonders with your nail designs. The awesome news is, the DIY glow in the dark nail polish with powdered pigments keeps its glow permanently.
Even if the glow starts to fade, all you need to do is recharge by exposing your fingernails to bright light for a few minutes.
Be careful not to inhale the glow in the dark powder though. Try using a protective mask. Also, note that some glow in the dark powders can be toxic (e.g. paint powders). With this note in mind, always look for skin-safe products for cosmetic use.
What You Need:
- Glow-in-the-dark pigment powder
- A half-empty bottle of clear nail polish
- Two ball bearings (optional)
- A paper scrap
Step-By-Step Glow In The Dark Nails Using Glowing Powder
Before we begin, gather your supplies! Purchase glow in the dark powder from any online Arts & Crafts store with a single click of a button. If you do not have clear nail polish at home, it’s right about time to order this one as well.
Once you’re ready to proceed, follow these steps:
- Get the clear nail paint and drop two ball bearings inside the bottle to encourage a good powder-polish mixture.
- Roll the paper scrap into a cone to make a funnel.
- Put the pointy end towards the nail polish bottle.
- Make sure you pour just the right amount of glow in the dark powder. A teaspoon of the vivid powder is enough to get the right opacity and consistency for perfect glow nails.
- Shake the polish bottle to stir and blend the glowing powder with the nail paint.
Voila! Paint your fingernails and enjoy your stunning, long-lasting DIY glow in the dark nail polish. For a firm luminous effect, consider the application of a base coat with a regular polish. Next, top-up and apply the glow in the dark nail paint just like you normally would. Protect your nails with a top coat.
Option 2: Glow Stick Nail Polish
The vivid neon colors of glow sticks are instant mood boosters during a night out. But amidst the quarantine period, we have found another great purpose for the party accessories.
Glow sticks could be used as an inventive tool to help you make a glow in the dark polish from the comfort of your own house.
Before you proceed with the making of glow polish, be aware that the glow sticks’ glare is not permanent and it wears out. That means you have to prepare the materials beforehand and consider how long it would take you to finish the project and apply the glowing nail paint, including the drying period.
What You Need:
- 1 glow stick or glow bracelet
- A half-empty bottle of nail polish (clear polish or the same color shade as the glow stick)
- Sharp scissors
Step-By-Step Glow In The Dark Nails Using Glow Sticks
Begin with the assembly of your crafty workplace and prepare your supplies. Before you start mixing the glowing nail paint, put your gloves on to avoid stains from the glow stick liquid. (You would be surprised by how messy it gets.)
- Snap and vigorously shake the glow stick to activate the glare.
- Cut the stick in half right above the opening of the nail polish bottle to avoid glow juice spillage.
- Tip the cut end of the glow stick over and pour the glowing liquid into the bottle.
- Once the nail polish is full or you run out of liquid—close the bottle and shake it to encourage the mixture.
Now you are all set and ready to glow! Enjoy your homemade glow in the dark fingernail polish. The application process is just the same as with regular polish. For a radiant neon effect, apply over a white base. Finish the look with a thin layer of shiny or matte top coat.
Glow in the dark nails is all about fun and rave! It’s great to have a mood booster especially during these trying times.
Do you have other ways to make glow in the dark finger nail polish? Let us know in the comment section below!
- How To Do Ombre Nails | The Best Way To Do It Yourself
- 11 Classy Mauve Nail Designs For An Exquisite Look
- How To Do A Hand and Foot Spa At Home In 5 Easy Steps
Are you passionate about nail care and mani trends? Join our Contributor network today! WRITE FOR US!